The Jacksonville Regional Economic Development Corporation works to retain, expand, create and recruit job opportunities for Morgan and Scott Counties.
Mission Driven Goals and Projects
In the ever evolving world of economic development, setting goals can often be like trying to hit a moving target. The dynamics change frequently, what we set out to accomplish at the beginning of the year can often be totally different at the end of the year. With this in mind we’ve done some in depth planning and the following are the goals and projects we hope to accomplish this year:
- Continue to support the Morgan Scott CEO (Creating Entrepreneurial Opportunities) Program
- Provide support services to at least three (3) firms emerging locally
- Through the Jacksonville Main Street Economic Restructuring Committee, continue pursuit of establishing a small business incubator
- Respond to all viable leads for new business development in a timely and professional manner.
- Continue to list and market available buildings and sites in Morgan & Scott counties
- Host & visit site selectors and company representatives on a regular basis
- Market the new Tri-County Industrial Site highlighting the new status of “Ameren Certified Elite Site”
- Recruit at least one new employer into the two-county region
- Continue to diligently market our available existing industrial buildings
- Host at least 3 site visits for prospective new business or industrial projects
- Enhance and continue our partnership with the Jacksonville Area Chamber of Commerce, the Small Business Development Center and the local SCORE Chapter to encourage and help develop new business startups. Small business is the number one creator of new jobs.
- Build awareness of Jacksonville, Morgan & Scott counties, and Central Illinois as attractive locations for business growth
- Continue to conduct site visits, formal sessions and informal meetings with employers
- Conduct at least 24 retention/expansion visits to our existing businesses and industries. One of our top priorities is to keep our existing industries here and keep them growing!
- Assist with expansion of at least one employer already operating in the two-county region
- Assist consultant with the research and completion of a DCEO Enterprise Zone Application for a new enterprise zone
- Contact every industrial employer within the two-county region at least once during the course of the year
- Position the JREDC Annual Meeting as the premier industry event in the region
- Provide briefings on regional economic development to every municipality in Morgan & Scott counties.
- Finalize the JREDC’s 5-Year Strategic Plan
- Facilitate the development of a Regional Plan encompassing the ares of Community & Economic Development, Education, Health Care and Tourism partners in the region
- Continue to pursue funding for completion of US-67 as the region’s highest priority project
- Facilitate expansion of the fiber optic network across the two-county region
- Seek funding for extension of utilities from current terminus west to US-67
- Work with regional allies to expand funding for infrastructure improvements and to promote regional priorities in state and national “wish lists”
- Recognize at least three (3) regional businesses through the Industry Spotlight Program
- Recognize a regional employer as the Harold Cox Industry of the Year and recognize a supporting organization through the Champion Award
STAFF DEVELOPMENT & IMPROVEMENT
- Keep staff certifications current and continue to expand skills
- Maintain participation in national and state professional organizations in order to keep abreast of initiatives, issues and trends
- Collaborate with regional allies to pursue effective, employer driven initiatives, partnerships and services
- Expand participation in and awareness of Manufacturing Day
- Launch an effective employee recruitment program through the Talent Pipeline Management system