The story of Passavant Hospital really began in 1868 when Mrs. Eliza Ayers, a widow from Jacksonville, wrote to Reverend William Passavant, a Lutheran minister that had a national reputation for creating hospitals and orphanages, about donating a most valuable block of five acres on the city’s leading street. Although it took seven years of searching to find the right solution, Eliza gave the property to Reverend Passavant in 1875, and Jacksonville Hospital (now known as Passavant Hospital) was built on East State Street. It was the 149th hospital in the United States.
The transformation of Passavant from a small-town hospital to a modern state-of-the-art medical facility happened slowly at first, then three major decisions took place that insured the future success of the hospital. First was the formation of the Ladies Aid Society (now called Passavant Auxiliary) in January 1896. The organization’s role proved to be ever-changing as Passavant grew and it worked to accommodate the trends of medicine and hospital care. Whenever money was needed, whether it be for an expansion, equipment, services, or patient care, the Auxiliary responded. Second was the establishment of the Nursing School in 1902. Its bright, young faces did much to tell the community that Passavant was here for the long run and working for the future. And the third major decision that insured Passavant’s success was when local sources obtained complete control and it became truly a locally owned facility in 1916.In 1953, Passavant opened the doors to its new 140-bed facility at its current location on West Walnut Street.
Over the years, Passavant has continued to grow, and thanks to the support of many in the local community, has expanded technology and services to become a modern state-of-the-art medical facility.
Today, Passavant serves the residents of Morgan, Cass, Greene, Scott, and Macoupin counties in West Central Illinois, is staffed by 900 full and part-time employees, and is equipped to handle 93 patient beds.
Over the years, Passavant has been the recipient of many accreditation’s and awards. Passavant is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JACHO), and in 2006, was named one of the top two hospitals in the State and one of the top 10 percent in the nation to administer antibiotics 60 minutes prior to surgery by the Illinois Hospital Association (IHS). Passavant also received the 2006 Distinguished Hospital Award for Patient Safety from HealthGrades, the nation’s leading independent healthcare ratings company.
- In 2014, the Laboratory Department was awarded an accreditation by the Commission of Laboratory Accreditation of the College of American Pathologists (CAP).
- In 2009, the Imaging Services Department was awarded an accreditation by the American College of Radiology for its Mammography Department.
- Passavant achieved the status of a Magnet® Hospital from the American Nurses Credentialing Center in 2009. Passavant was redesignated for Magnet status in 2014.
- In 2008, the Imaging Services Department was awarded an accreditation in Ultrasound by the American College of Radiology.
- Passavant Area Hospital was awarded The Lincoln Bronze Award for Commitment to Excellence in 2007 for its earnest efforts to adopt and apply continuous improvement principles.
- The Emergency Department has the Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) designation for specialized care of patients 0 to 15 years of age.
- Passavant is a Regional SANE-Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Hospital for Region 3A in Illinois.
|Medical and Surgical||2,569|
|Total Adult and Children Admissions||2,945|
|Transitional Care Unit||326|
Emergency Room (E.R) Visits
|Outpatient Visits, excluding E.R.||55,242|
|Rehabilitation Service Procedures||87,618|
|Wound Clinic Visits||4,807|